2007-03-14

New AFCAD Created: KMZJ (Pinal Airpark/Marana, AZ)

Ever seen pictures of the aircraft boneyards? In addition to Mohave (KMHV) and Victorville (KVCV), there's a big one about 30 miles northwest of Tucson, Arizona. The Pinal Airpark is home to the Evergreen Air Center and has an assortment of planes parked in the desert awaiting their fate. Some are there seasonally, others are in long-term storage, and yet others will be parted out and recycled.

I've created an afcad with 130 parking spots arranged to closely resemble what I saw on Google maps at Pinal airpark. I also put together a traffic file to populate the airport with a selection of 125 AI aircraft I have installed. I made no attempt to match this to any real-world photos, but I think the list is pretty sensible. There won't be any A340-500 aircraft here, for example.

Each aircraft will do VFR touch-and-goes at Marana for 15 minutes two times during the week. These times were generated in Excel and are randomized for each aircraft. That will keep the traffic intensity to a minimum. By removing some of the flightplans, the number of aircraft can be reduced if there's a problem with frame rates.

Note that I didn't create any scenery per se - everything that's here was done with AFCAD 2.21. There is an Army helicopter facility on the north side of the field that I haven't tried to replicate... perhaps at some point in the future I'll put something together.

The file is on Avsim: afcad_kmzj_boneyard.zip.

Here is the full set of screenshots:














No comments: